Tuesday, August 25, 2015

I Would Sink Too

"O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" -Matthew 14:31b

Sometimes, I'm a "stay-in-the-boat" kinda girl when it comes to stepping out in faith. The riskier the endeavor, the tighter I cling to the rail. There are many reasons for this, namely, I'm a sinner! God has been revealing to me that part of this lack of faith, is rooted in pride.

I keep walking up to the edge of the boat, peering through the rain, out at Jesus...and sinking Peter. I say to myself, "Nah, I'm not gonna be THAT guy!". If I just stay here in the boat, I won't sink into the waves. I won't have to hear Jesus say, "O you of little faith" or hear those on the boat say, "I can't believe Sam didn't trust Jesus!". I don't want to "fail". I don't want the shame. I rather stay "safe" and rest in my pride. (Well, atleast my flesh does.)

But God's spirit within me, longs to trust in the Lord with all of my heart and not lean on my own understanding. To not measure the depth of the water or the height of each wave. What I'm beginning to see is that if I stay here on the deck as a bystander, I won't experience Jesus reaching out His hand and taking hold of me (so-to-speak).

"Jesus immediately reached out His hand and took hold of him." - Matthew 14:31a

And I know that this is just what the Lord does in these situations. I have trusted the Lord before, laying aside inhibitions and He has "reached out His hand to me" when I began to sink with doubt. God is a kind Father. (Psalm 103)

I need to let go of my pride. Whether I stay "safe" or step out and people see my weakness, I am a sinner. That fact remains the same. But I am a forgiven sinner. My life has been redeemed! "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."-2 Corinthians 5:17 All my boast and hope are in Christ!

So, in the times when "playing it safe" is a blatant refusal to obey the Lord, I need to jump off the boat and get a little wet! If I trust Jesus and walk to Him confidently without fear- glory be to the Lord! And if I become afraid and disappear into the waves, Jesus will uphold me- glory be to the Lord! "Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God..." 2 Corinthians 3:5

Starting this Blog has been on my mind for a while and I just kept clinging to the side of the boat. I felt like maybe God wanted me to use my time & writing to encourage others,...but oh, the doubts and fears! My Husband was more than an encourager to me to "jump"...he kinda pushed me in (with a big grin on his face!). :-) He bought me a new computer and told me to write! So, if you are reading this and have been encouraged, praise God...and thank Brian! :-)

-Sam

Bonus Material for your Encouragement:

1) Read Matthew14:22-33
2) Hillsong United's "Oceans"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9nwe9_xzw



No comments:

Post a Comment